Union Jack Flag

Union Jack Flag

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

"Adjustments with Hope Brings Peace"

Hello dear friends! 

Another week come and gone. This week was such a blur, and I can't remember much of what even happened. Loads of talking with people, and preaching the truth is all! This week has been quite frosty, no snow yet (thank goodness). The wind is very bitter, and I just have to load on the layers. Scarves are miracles, and hats are good, but my face is freezes over at times. It is quite tough in the winter because many people won't stand outside and talk. I've learned loads this week, so why don't we crack on.

One thing that was fun, was going on an exchange with our zone leader, Elder Christiansen. Wonderful missionary from Pleasant Grove, and he taught me loads. The missionary work in inner Manchester was so different. There is this road just outside the YSA building called Oxford Road. Loads of people walk up and down it, and you can just talk with people for ages. We did that for about an hour, and I'd say... 4 out of the many people we tried stopped. So sad, but when those people stop, you know they will have a proper listen to the message of The Restoration. It was very fun to have a change. I suppose it can be related to the winter. It may seem hard at first, but simply adjust and it will be better.

Erm, another thing I learned this week was hope which came from disappointments. Life is full of them, and many of them come from the choices of others. We all have those we love and care about, but the choices they choose we know will bring sadness. It is sad when people straight up turn down the chance to learn the truth. However, it is more sad when those you know and grow to love don't hold on to the promises they make. Proper devastation. Whether it is when investigators drop us, or cancel appointments, or none come to church, it gets you down. 

So how would this come to learn hope? Hope to me came to mean happily trusting Heavenly Father will bring to pass His righteousness.  Ether 12:4 states, "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." 

I love that! We learn that we cannot have hope without faith, and faith is trusting in God's will. God is all knowing, and He knows what is best. Learning to trust Heavenly Father, and doing so happily really has brought me that anchor of peace in my life. "Trust in the Lord in all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." (Proverbs 3:5) What incredible advice! Trust me when I say, it sets you free. We are mortal, we cannot understand all things. God knows the end from the beginning. I love praying to our loving Father in Heaven, and asking for help to always strive to align my will with His. For a wonderful example of trusting Heavenly Father, here is a great Ensign article I read: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/10/learning-to-trust-the-lord?lang=eng&query=learning+to+trust+in+the+lord+ensign+october+2013

With brighter hope,

- Elder Bennett
Just hanging with Elder Christansen (lovely uke right there), Elder Rongo, and Elder Olsen
Got a letter from the First Presidency. I'm sure all missionaries do, but still! So thankful!
 Found this painting on the exchange to Stretford. Van Gogh-ish?

No comments:

Post a Comment