Union Jack Flag

Union Jack Flag

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

"Twas Marvellous Ole Chap!!"

To my dearest family and friends,

I believe there are many a things to talk about! Honestly, I don't even know where to begin with it all. All I know is it'll be one of my best posts ever. Erm..  I should mention that preparation days here in Ashton are a blast! A few weeks ago I organised a basketball tournament for basically our whole zone and a few other missionaries from another one. So probably a total of about 28 missionaries? It was crazy, especially because there are many from different countries where they don't really play basketball.. so it was a bit like street ball. Heh. Then last week, we heard of some people getting together to play some volleyball down in Manchester. Luckily, we got a lift with the Manchester Zone Leaders so it was easier but still took a while. It was a bunch of fun, complete with some great spikes, and even more impressive some blocks on those attempted spikes. Today we had planned to go on a hike to a place called "The Dovestones", but it is raining pretty bad so it got cancelled. Perhaps next week? I do love me a good hike!

A very exhausting (physically, spiritually, socially) day was last Wednesday when we went on our Mission Historic Tour! We woke up at about half five in the morning, barely caught the train and rode all the way up to Chorley near the temple. About half the mission was there, so the Ashton, Liverpool, Preston and Chorley Zones. I love to see my past companions, and other great missionaries from past districts. I think best to see of all was my first companion, trainer, and current Zone Leader, Elder Nelson. He is just the greatest and makes me feel so good about myself. We had a proper chat on our bus ride up to Preston about how things were doing and funny memories we had in Hyde. Erm.. So the first stop was President Hinckley's old flat where he had his "day of decision", and received that famous letter from his father saying "forget yourself and go to work." Crazy, innit? Next was the place where the Vauxhall chapel was located along with "the cockpit"or in other terms the Temperance Hall. The chapel belonged to Elder Joseph Fielding's brother. He allowed them to preach a good number of times but then kicked them out because so many converted from his congregation heh.. The cockpit was exactly that, a chicken fight arena, but also a place they had a conference and other meetings. Oh, quick side note. When referring to "them" I mean the missionaries/apostles, which were Elder Heber C. Kimball, Willard Richards, Orson Hyde, and others.

We walked a bit more down to the Preston town square where they used to stand on top of soap boxes and preach sermons to huge amounts of people. Near there, was the flat they stayed in which is infamous for when they got attacked by legions of evil spirits. Here's the experience in Elder Kimball's own words.. "My agony was so great, that I could not endure...and could distinctly see the evil spirits, who foamed and gnashed their teeth upon us...I shall never forget the horror and malignity depicted on the countenances of these foul spirits.." (Truth Will Prevail p. 77) Proper disturbing that! However, it was a big testimony builder to me on how hard the adversary tries when we are on the verge of doing grand amounts of good. Certainly, if Satan could have stopped the "Cradle of the Restoration", it would have been a big win for him. He didn't though! Carrying on, we then travelled through this beautiful park to where the River Ribble is located! This place was where many saints were baptised. The funny story was a certain man who literally raced others down to the river, getting quite thrashed doing it, just to be first one. Yes, I know, quite the experience so far, but it doesn't end here! I also acknowledge I am probably sounding like quite the historian. Please, let me bask in the moment as history is my utmost worst subject! 

After a little bit of travel on the buses, we went to a place called Downham. It was a place where they had a lot of success and most of the village were baptised. It's also particularly an extravagant place simply because it hasn't been "modernised" except for the cars. The cobblestone paths, trees, etc. are the same as when the first missionaries were there. President Ulrich also told us a story where basically, Joseph Smith told those apostles that it was indeed holy ground because some of the ancient prophets had walked and dedicated that exact area! Mind blown! I am so blessed to be in this mission!! All in all, it was a very spiritual experience for myself. I think my next and possibly last church site will have to climax where the Saviour walked Himself! Until then.. I'll continue onwards with how the work is going.

Perhaps most exciting is a young man we have been teaching every week now and he is progressing slowly but very smoothly. First met Carter (as always, not his real name) at investigator sports where we play some football. He got involved with mutual, and I don't think he has missed a week! Pretty shy kid, but he's opened up as time goes on, especially when we have fun activities. We always teach him at the Fletcher's home which is probably the best place. Their family has five teenagers, and all are great examples. It's overall been humbling to see his faith grow from just a spark to a small flame. I also went back to my old area a few weeks ago to see someone I taught get baptised. Hector has had a tough life to this point, and I remember talking to him pretty late at night in Wigan's town square. At first, it seemed a bit dodgy, but he just looked kind of lonely on the bench so I just decided to talk with him! Ha, funny how that all worked out. Basically, if you see someone that seems lonely, they may just need the gospel in their life! 

Okay, I got two funny stories to boot and one brilliant Saturday to mention. Ahem, Elder Lauener and myself were waiting at this bus stop and this mother and little girl joined the queue. Well, the little girl smiled back at my companion, and let's just say I wasn't expecting what happened next. Surely, she has got to have a sweet spirit, but something was up with her teeth. Basically they looked pointed, with gaps between each one? Like a shark or.. devil-child? Taken aback, I just laughed inside out of pure shock. Not done yet. We get on the bus, ride back to the station and my companion gets off. The lady and the girl get off, and as I get off I see the girl like run towards my companion, arms out, ready to embrace him as if he was her daddy! Haha, that scared him away with a half jog to avoid her. Oh I was just dying inside! An inside joke of ours is making a shrilly violin music that you might hear in scary movies, and that was the perfect timing. Another time, we went by this couple and the mother answered, and in her arms was a naked baby boy. Again, quite surprised, but thought "eh, I can handle it..". We get talking about they're weekend, church, work, etc. Then, while my companion was sharing a joke, the boy just started to wee right towards him! Bahaha, all three of us lost it! Luckily, my companion didn't get wet, but I could tell the mum was quite embarrassed..

So! What made last Saturday so brilliant? We got to go to a stake activity with Carter! It was basically a track and field meet, where all the wards competed. Primary, deacons, priests, older adults, and everyone in between competed. The events were the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m runs, high jump, long jump, and two relays. It was loads of fun cheering on the Ashton 1st ward and socialising with the members. Just for fun, I went and did the high jump and long jump with Carter. I don't think I did half bad at the long jump! My companion and myself got asked to help in the 400m relay, which is a full lap. I am not the best runner, but did it anyways. I kept up the pace, but was still second when I passed the baton. Our last runner, one of the Fletcher boys, is very athletic, and bolted through for first place. Overall, our ward just blew the competition away, and this was their fourth time in a row being crowned champs. We are the first ward after all.. However, participation came with two prices. One, my thighs are very sore, and two, I got a sun burn on half my neck. Yeah, no clue how at happened! It's England for one reason, and how was it just half my neck?! Whatever.. still worth it. I believe that is enough to share for now. Hope you've enjoyed!

It's all one, big, crazy rollercoaster innit,

 - Elder Bennett




South African Sunshine, Elder Konyana, along with our man Hector

My companion caught me having a good read out of a great book.
Brilliant tree that is special to Elder Holland. Received revelation here as to where to build the Preston Temple.

The Ribble River. Pretty grand innit?
Beautiful? Yes. A workout? Bigger yes.
Right, Elder David from Germany (1 month), Middle, Elder Suriyachen from Thailand (23.6 months)
Left, I think is.. Elder Redhead from the moon..? (10 months)

Picture with a plaque day..
Ye old flat that has the evil spirits. Nope, no vacancy. Fancy a new home?
Stampeding group of missionaries, A.K.A., a Brit's worst nightmare.
My trainer, Elder Nelson! He's so great..


I cleared it!! It really isn't even that high.. Heheh.
My favorite, the long jump. Landed where the rake is at, jumped where my foot goes down

Sneaker photographer shot this one of me sprinting in the relay.. hardcore
Volleyball squad. Elders.. Ding, Peterson, Bennett, Turner, Lauener,
Stetler, Strebel, Cain, James, Judd, Kissell.
 Sisters.. Miller, Black, Guymon, Carol and Elder Ählstrom. Banter!












No comments:

Post a Comment