Union Jack Flag

Union Jack Flag

Thursday, July 2, 2015

"Mentions over the Month"

Yeah... its been quite some time. Crazy how time flies, innit? I can't believe I have been out as long as I have, and boy did last transfer just flash by! It was even seven week one! I don't believe I have just one major thing to mention, but a variety of things to touch on. I suppose keeping people in the loop should be nice? If you are reading this, please, let me know some things that you would like me to talk about more. Often times, when I am emailing, I just don't know what to mention to back home! I'm sure I could think of anything to ramble on, but this is for you. Please, don't hold back!

One great day I had was about three weeks ago on a preparation day. We went to a place called Piccadilly Gardens, inside Manchester. Met up with loads of other missionaries who came out the same time I did. We are really great friends because we spent so much time at the MTC together! It was nice to see those who had been in completely different zones as myself. Got there at about 2:30 to eat some place together. Needless to say, I was starving! Luckily, an Elder who is serving in the YSA knows Piccadilly quite well and led us to a place called Peachy Keens. Quite a silly name, but a wonderful place! Brilliant buffet of various foods from different countries! Thats England for ya, so many different cultures you have no idea! Had some Chinese, some Italian, and other bits and bobs. The desserts were very good as well. My favorite was probably this strawberry mouse thingie? Yeah.. we just hung around, caught up, and laughed at memories from the MTC. 

Then the week after that, we met up with other missionaries serving in the Ashton Zone and went bowling! That was great fun! I did not do well in the least, but I did get better as time went on! Its always nice to do things that one would do with friends back home I suppose. Lets see, and near the bowling place there is a brand new Five Guys. If you think it is expensive in the states, hear this. We went out with one couple, spent about.. £50? I think that is $80 or so. Then the next week, we got invited by a different family! This family is quite big, but not all of them came. In total I'm guessing... £100? So.. perhaps $170! When we tell them how much cheaper it is in the states, they are dumbfounded. Haha, they all say they have never had a burger that good. I am so spoiled here in Ashton! 

Hmm.. oh yeah! One thing that was quite the different experience was being in a trio for the last couple weeks or so. Elder Lauener was serving in the Ashton 2nd ward, and long story short, he had to come over with Elder Olsen and myself. It was LOADS of fun being in a trio. Great to have yet another person to talk with. I think proselyting was a bit more of a challenge because we didn't want to like, surround people..? All in all, I cried of laughter twice, broke a bed (fixxed it too), learned the American/Italian accent, made plenty of inside jokes, got hit by a falling door and loved it. Well, I didn't love the door to the face part, but the trio. You know what I mean! Sadly, Elder Olsen did get transferred out, but at least I get to stay with my Swiss companion, Elder Lauener for longer! He's such a goofball. A bit about him? Erm.. he can do parkour, plays the uke,loves music, and.. speaks German? Haha, its great! I can't really think of anything else to mention..? We're working with some members, teaching some of their friends.. May have found a couple new investigators, but there aren't any attending church currently.. Mm.. should be going on a hike or two in the coming weeks, so that should be quite beautiful. 

One gospel principle that I have become keenly aware of is having the Spirit with me. There is such a big difference in my attitude, teaching, and words. For example, this one chav-lady was quite rude to us because we were cutting someone else's lawn and she wanted us to do hers? I have no idea how I handled it so well, but with the help of the Holy Ghost, I was just super polite and loving. Next day, did her lawn and her heart was super softened. She was grateful, and quite shocked we remembered.Overall, I just feel so empty when I perhaps haven't prayed as much or haven't studied the scriptures as well. Thankfully, I am blessed with such uplifting music that I can invite the Spirit so quickly in the mornings. Music truly does have power. If you want to witness it for yourself, I would challenge you to listen to only Mormon Tabernacle Choir songs (hymns preferred) every morning this week. Maybe write down how you feel before you "start your day". Next week, listen to the music you would normally enjoy listening to (I'd be shocked if it was MoTab) and pay close attention to how you feel. 

Here are some more things that can help you invite the Spirit more fully into your life. Ask in every prayer to be filled with it. Purify your life, meaning to rid things that aren't in harmony with the churches standards and seek better things. Keep the commandments, and might I add in, your covenants that you have made. How easy it would be to always choose right if we truly "remembered Him, and took His name (thoughts, words, deeds) upon us. Study the scriptures, and remember what you can apply that day from it. Having the Spirit in my life right now is very important, but how could it be a blessing in your individual circumstances? I'll leave that for you to answer. I know that anyone can gain so much more guidance, strength, inspiration, peace and joy when they have the Holy Ghost as a best friend. Hope you enjoyed that spiritual snippet of sorts!

With love,

- Elder Bennett
TWINKIES?!! Boy, those were delish

All the coins put together make a shield. Neat-o!

Yeah.. our ward mission leader works at an American Candy store.
 It was like a second Christmas.. no big deal..

Well look at this, its Leslie the Ladybug! I hope she is still in our back garden.
(Even though its a mess)
 Oh just a goofy picture at the temple with Elder Rongo and Elder Olsen

Elder Lauener and I back on an exchange.
Breaking news! He is now in a trio with us!
Oh boy, look at the sky with all them clouds! Beautiful, innit?

No comments:

Post a Comment