Basically, I have been thinking a lot this week about progression, about life, and about the eternities. Quite deep, possibly? I dunno. The following is a sort of analogy that came to me mind. Life is like attending a university. Now when we attend, do we go to... do homework? No. Do we attend to go to lectures? Nope. Labs? Nu-uh. What about to get a degree? I'd say I disagree. As we go to uni, we say I am going to... become a doctor. I want to become physician. I guess you could say the end goal is to become something/someone. Interesting...
In life, we are here to learn things from experience, to do things that God has asked us to do, but this all comes down to the general "to become". Elder Dallin H. Oaks teaches us that, "..the Final Judgement is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts-what we have done. It is an acknowledgement of the final effect of our acts and thoughts-what we have become. It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions. The commandments, ordinances, and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become." How comfortable do we plan to be in God's presence and what degree of glory do we wish our bodies to be in?
For me, I am reminded of elementary school. There we had three separate math classes. Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. If a child in the lowest were randomly placed in the highest, he wouldn't feel comfortable. He wouldn't want to be there. That boy would fall behind, and probably admit to one degree or another, that he wasn't worthy. He would ask to be in the class that is best for him So it is similar with the Kingdoms of Glory. Everyone in the Celestial Kingdom became something. They did what was asked from God, and sacrificed a lot. Sort of like a Harvard student would sacrifice loads more than a community college student.
A few more insights to end this lovely jib jab of mine. This is a good way we can measure our progress of becoming. It is found in the last four words of Matthew 19:20; "What lack I yet?" Certainly, my answer is LOADS! Does that make me shrink, and think it is impossible? No way! It is definitely possible, and I know that progress, regardless of size, is still progress. From my own life, I am simply amazed and stand speechless at what I have become. Not to like put my self on a pedestal or anything, I don't like attention! But like, first hand, who'd have thought?? It is something we would have to experience for ourselves. Finally, a lovely quote. "Just because things are going well, does not mean that we should not from time to time consider whether there might be something better." - Carlos A. Godoy
So, what are you doing that is leading you toward Godhood? What weakness can you strengthen through the help of Jesus Christ? Ponder, ponder, and act. I hope that you will see the many fruits of your efforts.
We are all enlisted,
- Elder Bennett
| I was freaking out about drinking maté. Twas nasty. It is a latino drink, I believe? |
| Elder Nunes and myself on an exchange. He is a Brazilian football legend/maté drinker. |
| Look at the lovely note President and Sister Ulrich left on our whiteboard... aww.. love them! |
No comments:
Post a Comment