Union Jack Flag

Union Jack Flag

Monday, February 9, 2015

"Sumptuousness of the Spirit"

Howdy. That's how people speak over in America right? I'd say 90% of the time when I say hi to someone over here I say "hiyya!" not sure why.. Its quite fun. Anyways! This past week just flew by, and boy it was a great one. Wonderful lessons with some investigators, great encouragement to the members, and just good ole work. 

One thing that is quite interesting here in England, is when others talk about their family members. This is quite silly to me, but it happens all the time! For example, say I was talking to a friend about my future niece, I would say something like.. "Our Ella is just beginning to walk." The "our" is always put in when families talk to others about a family member. Its like implying that if I just say Ella, you wouldn't know who I was talking about...? Hah, goofy things, but its fun. 

Right so, I guess one thing that I've noticed as a missionary is how wonderful it is to always have the Spirit to be with me. We know that is what we strive for, and that we need it in the missionary effort. When it comes down to it, the Holy Ghost doesn't help me teach, I help Him teach. Some converts have said they didn't really understood what the missionaries were even talking about, but the feelings they felt was what had them keep having them back. I find that rather interesting. I won't say I am perfect, and always have the Spirit. But boy, can I always tell when I don't have it. It feels so empty, and alone! 

This next paragraph is from a talk that I recently read that inspired this topic. It is from Elder Neal A. Maxwell, from the Ensign Oct. 2001 titled, "Testifying of the Great and Glorious Atonement". He says, "After the cleansing and emancipating effects of baptism, we experience further fortifying effects by receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. We desperately need the Holy Ghost to help us choose the right. He will also help by preaching to us necessary sermonettes from the pulpit of memory. He will also testify to us of the truths of the gospel." Oh man, I love that!

At times we may think, I do choose the right. I don't do anything bad. Sometimes, it isn't between choosing right and wrong though. It is between choosing what is of the most importance? Which choice will lead help me become like our Saviour? Is this the best choice on my steady course of improvement? I know that the Holy Ghost can be our constant companion, if we hold true and focus on the sacramental covenants throughout our week. Are we keeping the commandments? Are we always remembering Jesus Christ and His Atonement throughout the day? This should be our daily strive. Seek the Spirit so that you can receive help to make the best of choices. I would also most certainly encourage anyone and everyone to study "The Most Important Things".  https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/02/the-most-important-things?lang=eng It has really helped me focus, and re instituted the whole "Good, Better, Best", a classic from Elder Dallin H. Oaks.  

Wishing you all the very best in all that you do,

- Elder Bennett
The greatest picture. Chillin' on a pillar. Wow, hardcore. (I'll strive for more pictures next time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment