What a week! Man, I would wish anyone to be in my shoes right now. Being a missionary is the greatest! The weather has been getting colder but nothing nasty yet. Each week I feel my luck running out. Here are another couple English words for you curious folks. Dodgy and proper. Dodgy means that something is sketchy, just not right. Theres an area that is very dodgy. Just rubbish everywhere, chavs running about, ahh, I don't like that place. Although, we have found success there this past week. Proper means like very. That meal was proper delicious. That was a proper spiritual lesson. Things of this sort. I love it!
A week ago we went to the best chippy ever! Ahh! It is called Kongs, and I'm sad because it is going to be closed today by the time we get done. I just devoured the fish and chips, and I also got Vimto! Vimto is the soda I had loads in the MTC! Proper good drink right there. Oh the memories it brought back, you have no idea how happy it made me! We also got loads of food, that day, I felt like we were eating like kings! Not really of course, but I dunno, just budgeted well I suppose? Got a nap in on P-Day as well, that was heavenly. Goodness, I remember taking naps after high school loads. Forgot what they felt like to be honest. Time permitting, I hope I get to take another today!
This week we had some truly fantastical meetings. Wednesday we had a multi-zone conference with Elder Dyches from the 2nd Quorum of the Seventy. Him, along with his wife, our mission president and his wife, and our stake president spoke. He had been fasting to receive more personal revelation, and boy did it work! I don't believe there had been a time where I went to a meeting, and just was taught by the Holy Ghost more than the speaker. Thats one thing that I learned and definitely applied over the weekend when we had Stake Conference. One of many. So first, listen to what the Holy Ghost is teaching you, so that you can apply it into your own personal life. As I said, these meetings really were fantastic, and thats what I'll be sharing, is some things that I learned.
The majority is going to be on revelation! Personal revelation, who doesn't love some of that in their life?? Lets begin by changing what you think. Any kind of meeting, whether Sacrament Meeting, or the classes, conference or fireside. These need to be interpreted as "revelatory experiences". This is an opportunity to receive personal revelation as I did! President Henry B. Eyring can explain much better the importance of revelation from his talk this past October called "Continuing Revelation". He says, "We all know that human judgment and logical thinking will not be enough to get answers to the questions that matter most in life. We need revelation from God. And we will not need just one revelation in a time of stress but we need a constantly, renewed stream." Did you catch that? If not, read it again, because that was incredible. Do we understand who said that? An apostle of God! And where does he get his words from? Inspiration/revelation from our Heavenly Father. "Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." D&C 1:38.
So what is it that I learned about personal revelation.. here we go! Most us know that revelation is not a light switch that turns on and off. It comes as a sunrise. Light upon light, here a little and there a little. Revelation is dependent upon our obedience. If you feel like revelation hasn't come for a long time, I would encourage examining your life and ponder how obedient you are. Are you rationalizing any habits or choices? Revelation is to be cultivated in an environment that depends on your desire, your worthiness, and your preparation. We must search for it. Not simply glance under the bed, "Nope, not there. Its lost. Can't find revelation. Oh well. Boo hoo." Oh no. No, we need to search for what we need help with! Strong desire, and a righteous life will bring revelation. Elder Dyches stated that some of us would love for an angel to come down unto us, and tell us what we need to do. I'm sure we would listen and do what the angel would ask, but do you know what the angel would say? He would quote the scriptures! Bet you didn't see that one coming, because I sure didn't! At times we may think that we need to always be seeking revelation for the simple things. Well one thing that was pointed out is that revelation does not substitute common sense. We know what right and wrong is. We know the standards of the church, and we can easily figure out the small things. When in doubt, the answers can be found through scripture study and prayer. As I talked about earlier, pay close attention to what the Holy Ghost is trying teach. Satan is turning up the fire, and we need to increase our righteousness. We need personal perspective and individual vision to guide us through life.
As Thanksgiving approaches, I would say a few things about gratitude. Gratitude is a divine principle and opens the door for further blessings. When we express gratitude to our Heavenly Father, He sees the humility in our hearts, and knows that we acknowledge His hand in our lives. President Thomas S. Monson said, "The things that provide deep and lasting gratitude are the things that money can't buy. We often take for granted the very people who most deserve our gratitude. Let us not wait until it is too late to express that gratitude." Not expressing our gratitude but feeling it is like wrapping a present but not giving it. Well thats just sad. Think about this; who feels good after gratitude is shared? Both the person giving and receiving. Let us always be grateful for the time, place and trial we may be in. There is always a purpose, and a way to grow in every aspect of life. For "yesterday is history, and tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." (Yes, I did just quote Kung Fu Panda. Great quote!) Enjoy your Thanksgiving! There isn't one here in England, and how sad that is.
With gratitude in my heart for this gospel, our Saviour Jesus Christ, to be a missionary, and my incredibly family and wonderful friends,
- Elder Bennett
| Elder Dyches (2nd Quorum of the Seventy) with Elder Nelson, and I |
| Elder Sleepover |
| Yep, we eating like kings! |
| Elder Sorenson and I being goons. The straightener is another Elder's! |
| Still being goons. Oh my... we are weird! |
| Walking around and came across a dodgy tunnel. Pretty sure thats where we lost our route. |
No comments:
Post a Comment